HOMEWOOD SUITES HOTEL
- Project Location: Augusta, ME
- Services Provided:
- Geotechnical consulting.
- A combination of test borings with SPT sampling and test pits were performed to investigation the subsurface conditions.
- The new construction hotel is a 4-story, 120-room building structure with a footprint of 25,000 ft2.
- Project Challenges / Innovation:
- Geotechnical challenges included varying subgrade of shallow bedrock, miscellaneous fill, marine deposits, and glacial till.
- Slope stability analysis was required for excavations adjacent to Western Avenue and for a 15-foot retaining wall planned atop a 35-foot embankment with steep slopes located near Interstate I-95.
- Controlled blasting and preload fills were required as part of a 12-foot cut and 12-foot fill used for site development.
- SGS designed retaining walls include over 400 linear feet of Stone Strong precast blocks with portions having gravity design and portions reinforced with geogrid.